Students who conduct research for a set period of time under the firsthand guidance of a Yamaguchi University faculty member are defined as research students. A majority of international graduate students apply to and gain admission to graduate schools while they are research students. Working in your specialty and learning Japanese while you are a research student can help in your research and life after enrollment in graduate school. We recommend that you become a part of Yamaguchi University as a research student before enrollment in graduate school.
- You must meet the following requirements to be eligible to be a research student:
- ●If you wish to conduct research in an undergraduate program, you must either:
- 1) possess a bachelor’s degree and research capability
2) display research and academic capabilities on an equal level to someone with a bachelor’s degree
- ●If you wish to conduct research in a master’s program or professional degree program, you must either:
- 1) possess a master’s degree
2) display research and academic capabilities on an equal level to someone with a master’s degree
- ●If you wish to conduct research in a doctoral program or the Graduate School of Medicine’s doctoral program, you must either:
- 1) possess a Ph. D.
2) display research and academic capabilities on an equal level to someone with a Ph. D.
＊Depending on the faculty or graduate school, you may be required to have JLPT 1 or 2. For more details, contact the individual faculty or graduate school.
2. Application Procedure
Prior to applying for admission, you must find a faculty member who agrees to accept you as a research student. Be sure to contact the faculty member of your preferred field of research and obtain informal consent from him/her in advance. You can then go through that faculty member to apply for admission.
Find an academic advisor in the Yamaguchi University Researchers Database.
3. Period of Attendance as a Research Student
In general, students can attend Yamaguchi University as research students for one year. However, an extension of one year can be requested for a maximum totaling two years.