Extension of Period of Stay in Japan

Application for Extension of Period of Stay

If you wish to stay in Japan longer than your approved period of stay, you will need to extend your period of stay. You can apply for the extension up to 3 months before the day your period of stay expires. It takes about one month to get the extension after you apply, so go through procedures at the Immigration Bureau well in advance.

You will need the following:

  • Application for extension of period of stay
  • Photo (4cm×3cm)
    *Write your name on the back of the photo and glue it to the photo section of the form.
    *The photo must have been taken within the past 3 months. You should not be wearing a hat, and the picture must be clear with a plain background.
  • Form from your faculty or graduate school
    (Please speak with the person in charge of international students in your faculty or graduate school to receive this form.)
  • Certificate of enrollment
  • Certificate of acceptance (if you will be entering Graduate School)
  • Permit for the extension of research student study period (if you are extending your period as a research student)
  • Academic Transcripts
    - Research students and special auditor students should take a copy of any documents that prove their research plans and hours of research they are currently conducting.
  • Documents to verify that you have sufficient funds to cover study and living expenses during your stay in Japan, such as a certificate of scholarship and a bank account statement
  • Permit to engage in activities other than those permitted by the status of residence previously granted (if you have any)
  • Residence card
  • Passport
  • Fee in the form of revenue stamps (available at the post office)
    \4,000 (necessary after application, only when you get an extension)

More information on Applying for Certificates.