Returning your Residence Card When You Leave Japan

When a foreign national who owns a residence card is no longer a mid or long-term resident, departs with a Re-Entry Permit or Special Re-Entry Permit but does not return within the period of validity, or possesses an expired residence card, they must return the residence card to the Minister of Justice within 14 days of the day it becomes invalid.
The card can be returned to the Immigration Officer at the airport or a port from which you leave the country, or sent to the address below. If you do not return it within the given period, you may be fined.

Address for Returning Your Residence Card

Tokyo Kouwan Goudouchousha 9th Floor Tokyo Immigration Bureau Odaiba Bunshitsu, Oumi 2-7-11 Koutou-ku Tokyo 135-0064
*Write “Return of Residence Card” at the front of the letter.